Monday, November 15, 2010

Useless and obscure stats.

I literally just started blogging this week (aside from my Tumblr which is only for pictures), and now I’m going to add a bit of ranting because that's what blogs are for. Right now, I’m kicking back in my roommate’s relatively busted lazy-boy watching a little MNF (Monday Night Football). It’s now roughly 60-30 for the Philadelphia Eagles over the Washington Redskins. Wonderful. But, I got a little annoyed when the commentator mentioned yet another useless and obscure statistic.  “Michael Vick, now has the record for having: 300+ yards, 4 passing touchdowns, 2 rushing touchdowns, 50+ rushing yards, in a first game back.” Ok, whatever that means.  I don’t see this record being broken anytime soon, or anyone caring about it in the first place.

                So you’re telling me that in order to break this record I have to get injured  (take a game off), then come back, and do four other things on top of that? That means that there are six variables involved with this record setting equation.  This record has become so ambiguous that calculating the likelihood of it happening again would even give Einstein a headache.

From: NFL.COM, directly following the game.

           The statistics I want to read about are ones where an athlete reaches a point/goals/touchdown landmark. Like when Gretzky scored his one millionth goal, that was sweet... or when Kobe Bryant scored 81 points in a game, awesome.

The fact is that I really don’t care if Peyton manning has the most passing yards in a wildcard game, when the wind was blowing 7mp/h South West. So the next time that you’re watching football, or any form of sports on TV... listen very carefully and ask yourself “Was that just another useless obscure stat?” Because it probably was.

No comments:

Post a Comment