Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Covert Salesman.

      
          Instead of blogging about another bad movie I watched, I thought I would let you in on a little secret. Netflix is amazing. As an avid movie watcher who is a regular at the Galaxy, and just about every torrent website, I can never seem to find enough movies. Currently I download movies direct and watch them through a Playstation 3, or stream them on my laptop. And so far it’s worked out pretty decent. But sometimes I don’t want the inconvenience of having to look for movies, and wait for them to download. Having a digital library of new and old movies would be much more efficient and enjoyable. So where can I find an online collection of movies, that won’t take long to download and that I can watch on more than my PS3?

           Well, after chatting with my friend Blake about movies, he mentioned a company called Netflix (aren’t they the guys who rent DVDs via snail-mail?). And at first I thought he was trying to ‘haggle’ me, like some sort of covert salesman. He made it seem too good to be true... so I was a little hesitant to try it out. “There’s a 30 day free trial” he said, “You won’t be disappointed.”

           ”Something tells me that this guy is definitely working for Netflix, but maybe I’ll give it a try” I thought to myself.

           Within 30 seconds of being on the Netflix website, I’m streaming movies instantly in HD for free (and no I'm not a Netflix salesman). I landed myself the 30 day free trial, and have every device in the house streaming movies and TV shows.  If I decided to keep it after the trial, it’s going to set me back a whopping $8.00 a month. My roommates have agreed to each pitch in2 bucks monthly (legal agreement pending), so it’s actually insanely affordable.

           At the end of the day Netflix has a bunch of pros, and a few cons. Pros: cheap, high quality, fast streaming movies, on up to 6 unique devices (iphone, laptop, ps3, etc). Cons: there’s not a huge library (but it changes monthly), accepts credit card/ pay-pal only, and my roommates likely won’t pay me... but I know where they live J

           Also, Blake isn’t (and wasn’t?) a Netflix salesman. 

3 comments:

  1. Netflix is certainly nice, very nice. With that being said I think I know how you can make it sick, so sick. Netflix Canada doesn't have a lot to offer because of the liscenses that they can't seem to get their hands on for certain movies (or so I'm told). So, my idea, which I havent tried yet is to port forward my IP address to the United States and try accessing Netflix from there. I, however am to lazy to do this right now so I thought I'd throw it out to you. If it works you'll get access to everything and anything in the world... because Netflix in the states has that luxury. So try it out, and get back to me if it works!

    Manther

    ReplyDelete
  2. heh nope still not a Netflix salesman ... though if anyone from Netflix is reading this it does make a good resume for me doesn't it? Who can argue with success heh. When you mentioned how much movies you watch I knew you'd enjoy it so I figured I'd share the wealth.

    @Dustin: you are correct that they have licensing issues but one benefit about that is they are unlocking new licenses almost daily as the continue to try to get more. Which means new content hits Netflix Canada almost daily giving you all kinds of new things to check out as they hit the menu. Would it be better if you could access the entire library like you can in the US? Sure but it's still definitely worth the $7.99/month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's actually been unbelievable so far, I'd recommend that people at least try the 'free trial'

    ReplyDelete